Sanctuary for the Abused
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
STATISTICS ON ABUSE
About 1 in 3 American women have been physically or sexually assaulted by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives. (Common Wealth Fund, Health Concerns Across a Woman's Lifespan: The Commonwealth Fund 1998 Survey of Women's Health, 1999)
A woman is battered every 9 seconds in the United States.
STATISTICS AROUND THE WORLD
- In the US, a woman is raped every 6 minutes; a woman is battered every 15 seconds.
- In North Africa, 6,000 women are genitally mutilated each day.
- This year, more than 15,000 women will be sold into sexual slavery in China.
- 200 women in Bangladesh will be horribly disfigured when their spurned husbands or suitors burn them with acid.
- More than 7,000 women in India will be murdered by their families and in-laws in disputes over dowries.
Here's what you can do:
You could visit my web site at http://www.alwaysthinkingofyou.com and please read my blog dedicated to women abuse and teen dating violence: http://teardropsonroses.blogspot.com/