Sanctuary for the Abused

Friday, June 29, 2018

Are Narcissists Typically Hung Up on "Bad" and "Good?"

by Kathy Krajco

Somebody asked me whether narcissists are "hung up on bad and good," judging everything all the time. It's an intriguing question.

They are extremely judgmental people. I'm sure that's because judging others is THE act of playing God. For, what is a God but a judge of people's worth? He keeps (saves/preserves) those he deems worth keeping and trashes (fires/damns) those he deems not worth keeping. That's what he's there for -- to judge everybody. He judges his creatures like a writer judges hers, deleting any that aren't just right. In fact, in the ancient language of the Old Testament, there's but one word for "god" and "judge" and "king" and "master."

So, it's easy to see why narcissists are so judgmental.

They are judgmental of themselves too. I knew one who would get thoroughly disgusted with himself if he stumbled or made a mistake in front of you. He'd refer to himself with utter contempt in chastising himself for the least little thing -- as if him making a little mistake was a big deal.

Well, I guess God Almighty making an error is a big deal. But for us mere mortals it's not.

This man had to be perfect -- at least when anyone was looking.

I have noticed this morality hang-up in a narcissist I knew very well. She would keep asking me what the "moral" thing to do in this or that matter.

It was strange, and I didn't know what to make of it. Not that it's strange to ever be asked this question by a friend in a real moral dilemma, but when she asked it, it was always a stupid question. I thought she was pimping me -- though I was baffled at why she would do that -- because I just could not believe a grown woman could be so devoid of moral sense that she had to ask such stupid questions.

Often, I'd just reply, "Well, do whatever you want," because it was that kind of matter -- the type where whatever you want to do is fine, because you should have your choice. If you don't want to go to the play, don't go to the play. Who needs to be told that? Who asks what's the moral thing to do about stuff like that?

All she cared about was appearances -- what it would look like to people if she did this or that. Of course, we're all motivated by this to some extent, but she is motivated by it to a bizarre extent. To the point that she views stuff like this as a moral issue. Hence, she makes a moral issue out of things that aren't even remotely a moral issue.

She seemed to view morality as nothing but an impression you want to make on others. Which makes sense, I guess. Everything a narcissist does is for effect. Nothing has any objective reality to them: it's all smoke and mirrors. Imagination. Pretend. They don't even haves selves: they have images instead. They IDENTIFY with this phastasm.

That is such a profound mental virus that it must cross up their thinking on many things. For, to them everything is all about nothing but appearances. Seeming. Looking good.

She should have just asked me what would make her look better, more grand and noble.

So, I think this woman had morality confused with making a good impression on other people. Unfortunately, doing the moral thing often gets you condemned = makes you look bad. No wonder I've never seen a narcissist with the moral courage to ever do that. If they see an opportunity to do something shitty to someone and get called a "good person" for it, look out.

Another thing I've noticed is that everybody's all bad or all good in their eyes. And -- boom -- someone can go from all good to all bad, or vice versa, overnight. For no discernable reason.

In that, again, they are just like little children = they are as mentally immature as little children. We've all seen little children hit a toy and say something like, "Bad toy, bad toy!" (like "Bad dog, bad dog!") for disappointing them in some way.

Narcissists seem to have never developed a more mature idea about what "bad" and "good" mean.

To a baby, Mamma's all good when she's there and all bad when she's not = all good when he's basking in the glow of her mirroring eyes smiling on him and all bad when she's depriving him of that joy she exists to shower upon him.

Narcissists never outgrow that.

SOURCE

Labels: , , , , ,

shared by Barbara at 12:09 AM


Share

3 Comments:

SOOOO judgemental they are. Gotta say he was NEVER critical of himself though. To their way of thinking they are perfect, the rest of us mere mortals are just means to an end and should fall in line. However, the CONSTANT criticism of others was steady.

10:57 AM  

So how does one outgrow this adolescent narcissism? It is a constant source of pain in my life, most recently resulting in a hugely painful breakup and shattering of my reality.

How can I get over it?

1:02 PM  

Anonymous:
Please seek professional help. You seem open to change. You don't want to get older like me and have the Narcissism engrained into your body, soul and spirit. You seem soft-hearted. I used to think that I was a faithful Christian, but ran into self-created troubles which eventually revealed my life and habits for what they are-- Narcissism. I'm addicted to internet articles on the subject because "that's me!" in the writing and the descriptions fit me to a "T" ! I'm going to Hell in a handbasket and I wish I weren't, but that's the reality of it. I'm in the latter stages of it, I believe. I see other people happy and envy them. I haven't grown up, and don't truly love. God IS love. I cannot love God, others, nor myself. (I can't believe I typed the previous line.) I'm "locked in" and locked out. I wish that I had helped others, but it's too late, now. I had my chance.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home