Sanctuary for the Abused

Saturday, April 07, 2018

ONE MOM'S BATTLE

One Mom's Battle is an AWESOME resource for women & men battling thru divorce and child custody with a Narcissist, Sociopath, Psychopath or BPD. 

I can't recommend strongly enough for anyone having these issues to join their Facebook group or Twitter and to follow their website. - Barbara


~~~~~~~~~

This battle started as “One Mom’s Battle” but it has become a village. Together, this village will make changes in the Family Court System and will bring awareness to Narcissistic Personality Disorder. What started as a lonely journey has turned into a family of men and women who are “in the trenches” and working to ensure that the Family Court System starts to do what it was designed to do: act in the best interest of the children.


 TINA SWITHIN


In 2008, a heard three words that would forever change my life. As quickly as my therapist said the words, “Narcissistic Personality Disorder,” I wanted her to take them back. I didn’t want to hear that my marriage was irreparable. I didn’t want to hear that there was no hope for my husband. I was in a lonely, empty and verbally abusive marriage yet I was still not ready to throw in the towel. I left my therapist’s office that day and I did not return to see her for over four years.

I spent the remainder of 2008 trying to salvage my marriage. As the victim of gas lighting, a stealth form of emotional abuse which is generally delivered by individuals with personality disorders, I was a shell of the person I had been prior to meeting Seth. I was no longer a bright, bubbly, free-spirit –  I was insecure and filled with self-doubt. During that year, I began to discover that my marriage was fraught with lies and deception. In the beginning of 2009, a second therapist (our marital counselor) suggested that Seth undergo a psychological evaluation and that day, he walked out of therapy and proclaimed that our marriage was over.

I quickly discovered that there is only one thing worse than being married to a narcissist and that is divorcing a narcissist. I also discovered that the Family Court System is not equipped or educated on Cluster B personality disorders. Individuals (male and females) who suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are generally charming and charismatic. They are also pathological liars who are skilled at deceiving those around them whether it be in the business world, political arena or sadly, in the courtroom. Because perjury is not punishable in Family Court, this venue becomes a playground for the narcissist and winning becomes their driving force.

My battle began in 2009 when I went from a 4,000 foot home in a gated community to my local women’s shelter – this was the very shelter that I had volunteered my time for many years. To be on the “other side” was the most humbling experience of my life. I lost everything in one short year: my business, my home, my cars and my marriage. I then spent the next four years entangled in one of the worst custody battles to enter the San Luis Obispo Family Court System. During this time, I acted as my own attorney and had to dig deep for inner strength. I found God and learned what “faith” really means.

My battle came to an end in July of 2013 when I was awarded full legal and physical custody of my daughters, ages 6 and 8. Not only did my battle come to an end but I received validation when the courts handed down final custody orders consisting of professionally supervised visits. After four long and exhausting years, my daughters are finally safe. This is a story about not giving up.  This is a lesson about believing in yourself and what you can accomplish when the odds are against you.


This is about my experience in the Family Court System and the frustrations that came as a result of this broken system. This isn’t about mother’s rights or father’s rights.  It’s about a child’s right to be happy, safe and loved.

xoxo Tina

###
“Like” One Mom’s Battle on Facebook or “follow” on Twitter.


Seeking insight, encouragement and advice while divorcing a narcissist? 


Tina Swithin’s book, Divorcing a Narcissist- One Mom’s Battle” is available on Amazon or through Barnes & Noble. Learn how to set boundaries and see the narcissist for who he/she really is. You will learn to forgive yourself and you will begin to heal.

SOURCE

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

shared by Barbara at 12:17 AM


Share

2 Comments:

Very inspiring, I was lucky that we were not married but by the end I was wrecked after a year and a half of physical, mental, sexual abuse and assaults basically living in a state of isolation and fear. This man was very wealthy, I did not ask for a settlement but he came after my only asset a small apartment that was mortgaged. I was lucky, my old boss and his family supported me and their family lawyer represented me. It took six months to recover then one day I heard a strange noise I did not recognise - it was my own laugh. So please if you are going through this, prepare to leave safely, remember the person you once were.

1:28 PM  

One Moms Battle is a great resource to learn from. Narcissists WILL lie and abuse the court system and you and your kids in the process. Learning the legal tricks they use and pointing them out to the court is key. Everyone can learn from the pain narcissists inflicted on others. Learn their dirty tricks!

https://ericnoveshen.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/documents-reveal-legal-trickery-likely-got-eric-noveshen-off-the-hook-for-domestic-abuse/

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home